Sunday

Reality bytes

I have emerged from hibernation, with a topic of truly "epic" proportions to literally "crap" upon. I'm not sure how much more crap one can add to this colossal masterpiece better known to television viewers as "Rakhi ki Swayamvar". Finally, a reason to truly understand why on earth the television was termed as the "Idiot box", whoever termed it was either a great visionary of freaking Nostardamus.

The hype has been on for a few months. This morning as I looked at the newspaper, behold, I saw a nauseating image of an advertisement for the "Final countdown". Well, I decided that I would attempt to sit through the final show in order to atleast do this piece. So at around 2200 hrs, Sunday, the 2nd day of August, 2009 (just to give a dramatic effect to the line, you see, viewers never have a problem with the dramatization even when the anchor, kept repeating "Waqt aa gaya hai" or "Poora Hindustan dekh raha hai" a gazillion times) I switched on the television to commercials punctuated with crap.

The show began with what I believe was a routine of each of the bakra's "dancing" out with their respective families (hence forth the finalists are referred to as "bakra/one of the bakras - generalization as I dont know their names and dont consider it worthwhile finding out either) to various tunes that have been savoured at weddings. I wonder which among these classified the degree(s) of stupidity each of the bakras and their relations must have felt among - "stupid", "really, stupid", "why do even ask?", "fuh-get it" while doing the routine live on so called national television.

The reason for referring to the "bakras" is that I had a theory that the entire show would culminate in someone of the class of Cyrus Broacha running out shouting "BAKRAAAAA". Unfortunately, I was denied the joy of witnessing that; but that wasnt entirely true. Why though? Well, over 20,000 bakras "applied"; they had a "procedure" to choose participants, and thousands of fools (including me, well it may have been for the purpose of penning this down, yet I too succumbed) watched the show, much like George Bernard Shaw's rendition on cricket.

At the end of it all, I have to admire Rakhi Sawant, whether it is for sheer brilliance in tapping the bakra market of its value or her brashness, uncoothness and 'come what may, I will crap on you' attitude.

5 comments:

Prasanna Ramachandran said...

Agreed that there are these whole bunch of morons (whom u rather term as bakras). I would like to make a small correction.. What amuses me is that there are 20,000 civilized bakras that i am unable to digest.. :)

All these folks are pretty well settled... This is what is called madness...

hven said...

Its Dilbert Future dude, thriving on stupidity in the 21st century :)

Prasanna Ramachandran said...

absolutely... Dilbert rocks!!!

Unknown said...

hey Venky...u have very nicely penned down d thoughts about the most crappiest 'entertainment' show being telecasted on TV.... Good work...rather, brave work !!wish every viewer reads this blog bfr the commencement of 'Swayamvar part 2' !! :P

hven said...

Part 2? Polygamy is the way forward eh? Can the universe sustain this? Only time will tell......