Sunday

Numero Uno

Disclaimer: This is my first attempt at a blog. So all you critics out there, please adjust maadi J

The Indian Railways is the world’s largest Rail network. The suck on timing, the seats are terrible and the toilets are the worst. The employ over 1.5 million people and it is almost impossible to figure out whom you have to meet in order sort out an issue you faced or even lodge a complaint.

I traveled by train to a place called ‘Tirunelveli’ located I don’t know where in Tamilnadu. Before this journey, I had traveled by train almost a year ago. This experience was a bit off the usual in terms of the goof ups by the Railway system.

In a past experience, I had boarded the train and realized that the seats were not numbered! The situation was chaotic until a few of us managed to figure out a vague sequence that would have made Newton proud…

Anyways, let me get back to this sojourn in the latest overnight journey on the train. As Bangaloreans, one anticipates traffic wherever you go. Therefore we left early for the railway station. But as a consequence of Murphy’s Law and one hell of a driver we ended up being at the station an hour prior to scheduled departure. The wait for a train can be interesting when one notes the gamut of sizes of both passengers and their luggage. Trains chugged in and out of Cantonment Railway station and the people scurried along like rats. I reconciled to the fact that it was a rat race to catch this train as well…

Soon enough it was our chance to show our skills in carrying the luggage and running the race to the coach. As we were traveling by an AC coach, I did not expect too many goof ups on the railway side. But, they are never short of reasons for criticism. My seat was number 64. I went counting 58, 59….62! To my utter dismay, there was no seat beyond 62!!! Seeing the incredulous expression written all over my face, the lady seated at 62 informed me that her seat was 63. The railways had goofed up yet again! The online reservation system had not been updated of the coach being changed for this train. Eventually the TTR informed me that I had my seat relocated. Thankfully the railways wouldn’t have to face a source of renewable energy- the anger of the travelers.

The eventful start ended without further drama at Maniyachi from where we boarded a passenger train to Tirunelveli the next day at 11 AM. This journey is a unique experience for the city bred. There are no cushioned seats, the fans wouldn’t work and even if they did it wouldn’t make a damn difference in the sweltering heat. Personally the best way to enjoy this kind of a trip would be sitting on top of the train. Not a feasible way out. Next best thing?? The door. The breeze is fascinating and the scenery even better.
The joy of standing at the door is far superior compared to the comfort and the cozy travel in the AC compartment. I’m sure my long durations spent at the door bugged my relatives, but this is something I didn’t want to miss.

Call it outright denial of the sad state of the railways or a case of some positives outnumbering the negatives. The Indian railways despite being almost a form of paid torture to some is still fascinating. Each experience is different. It is definitely a test of endurance as to how much one can tolerate and adjust yet trying to be happy at the end of it all. It’s an Indian attitude after all - Please Adjust Maadi…

No comments: