Saturday

Little Indian...

Indian cinema has seen a paradigm shift in the last few years, especially in terms of the scope of the script, story. We have witnessed some fantastic movies like Dil Chahta hai, Rang De Basanti, Yuva, Swades, Lakshya, more recently Taare Zameen Par to name a few. Right away, you might realize this is a bit of a biased opinion as the movies are restricted to a few directors/actors. A few of these movies have been literally path breaking especially RDB which caught the imagination of the youth.

Speaking of movies, theatres come to my mind. Playing the National Anthem before the start of the movie has become a trend these days. And it doesn’t really have to be a patriotic movie, it could even be a reservoir of nonsense (like an Imraan Hashmi or the Himesh movie…ugh the very thought is disgusting!).


A friend of mine mentioned that this practice was making him very uncomfortable. I was totally taken aback on hearing this. The point made was that people in a theatre would not be in a mood to stand for the anthem. Point well taken lets say considering that a good number of couples would find the theatre a nice place to get cozy! But I was wondering, is there a “mood” necessary to respect the national anthem?

I definitely am not trying to preach here. Yet it pains me to know that people find it uncomfortable to stand for the national anthem which lasts for a few seconds. Its few chances we get to respect the country. For those (me included) who don’t really contribute to the welfare of the country (if not cause damage), this would be a chance to at least show some respect.

I for one am totally for playing the national anthem at the theatre. It’s a congregation of a large number of people, so why not play it! I will never forget the movie Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gham. I was in class XII and we had gone for this movie (I still repent having spent Rs.60 for that). The movie had a segment where the Kajol’s son sings the National Anthem at a school function. The section was removed later for “political” reasons, I presume. How typical of Karan Johar to think that playing the Anthem in the movie would stir a sense of the Indian in the audience. A very commendable thought I have to say. Just that it didn’t work the way he might have expected (I can vouch for that theatre). Out of the, I’m guessing 150 people, barely 10 people stood for the Anthem. It was appalling to see that. One person stood and felt weak kneed halfway through!

Patriotism is the feeling that ones country is the greatest only because you were born in it. JFK said “Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country!” one of my favorite quotes. As we head into the next generation that can make or break the chance of India emerging as a super power, one of the factors that will push towards this dream is the feeling of oneness, the feeling of being Indian. I fear that this is a fading phenomenon. If the Anthem cannot stir the emotion, I’m not sure what will. Only time will tell what would…

No comments: