Sunday

The mother of all trials

I feel weak, violated and not in the nice way. I went through what I would call a "Test of Endurance" and I don't feel one bit elated that I came through, because I know that this is probably that first of many to be endured in the future, unless I get insanely lucky (This sentence will be self explanatory, once you're through the next few paras).

Well, this afternoon, I went on a trek, an expedition, if I may say so, of shopping with uncles, aunts and cousins. I for one, strongly feel that shopping if it is not going to end in an actual purchase, should not last longer than 15 minutes (I'm being very generous). Today, I managed to endure close to four hours of shopping. That would be the total time that I shop for in a year. (Damn, No wonder I felt like I lost a year. Truly, enlightenment can be slow). I truly admire and appreciate the patience of the salesman. One could argue that this may be only because its their duty. Still, its a feat as far as I am concerned.

This afternoon as the women rummaged through the pile of clothes, the three men in the part sat desolated on the small plastic stump, wearing our severely woebegone looks. If not for the fact that our hands were on our chins, we came pretty close to being the three wise monkeys. The rummaging through the pile of salwars continued for what seemed like eons (Time is relative). The rummaging left a complete mess and a mountain of clothes strewn all over the table (The salesman might have lost the will to live, and I was pretty close to that stage). I realized seeing the mess, that there was a similar phenomenon in nature causing a similar sort of effect - a cyclone!

They clothes went through a cycle and every few minutes there would be piece that required our appraisal. Sometimes I thought the same piece was being repeated. I was like being in an iteration trying to find out the largest number among million others in an unsorted array (Oh, stab me now, or it will kill me!!!). I wonder why they keep comparing one piece to the other over and over again, even the rejects. What do they fear? Retribution?

The marathon that began at 2, hit its mundane finality at 7. Its these situations in life that make you think it would be cool to be a cat, I mean, one could use nine lives!

I've heard the statement that goes like, "Shop till you drop dead". I had a doubt as to who the "you" referred to. My worst fears were confirmed today....

2 comments:

Sugar said...

hahah.. your sarcasm.. at its almost best :)

hven said...

I guess its a cause effect scenario :)